May 20, 2021

Trade Tips: Proofread With a Text-to-Speech Reader



What's your best tip for proofreading your own work?

I've tried so many tricks: read it aloud, read it backwards, print it out, touch each word with my finger while reading...

But I still miss things. Whole words, in fact. 

My brain fills in everything that I was supposed to type. No matter how hard I tried, I could never be confident I caught every typo (or miss-o, as it were). 

That was until Pamela Grow introduced me to my favourite new proofreading tool: text-to-speech readers. 

(Thank you, Pam. I owe you a beer or your beverage of choice when we get together someday). 

Text-to-speech readers are the coolest thing. You copy and paste your text into the tool, and it reads it out loud. Not only does it help me find missing words, it helps identify clunky portions of text, too. 

I use ttsreader.com. But there are several free versions out there if you Google speech to text readers.

You can choose from several voices, accents, and languages. 

My new proofreading partner is a UK male. And while he may be computer-generated, he's a great writing buddy (plus, when he reads my stuff in his British accent it always sounds smarter).

So, that's my trade tip for you. Feel free to pass it along to your fellow writers.

I'm looking forward to hearing your trade tips, too.


Image by Lorenzo Cafaro from Pixabay 

No comments:

Post a Comment