Feb 9, 2018

It's Complicated

Oh, Saint John. Most times I love ya. But sometimes I hate ya.

I hate when you get stuck in the past.
But I love when you find innovative ways to respect your heritage.
I hate when you bitch and complain, and hold back progress.
I love when you stand up for what's right for all.
I love your grit, but not your grime.
I hate when you act entitled, expect handouts, and dump on those who've worked hard to earn what they have.
But I love your generous, caring side, and your genuine willingness to share with your neighbours.
I hate when you don't appreciate yourself.
And I hate when you can't see your value because you're distracted by pain and poverty.
I want to pick you up and hug you.
I want to give you a kick in the butt.
I tried to leave you, but you drew me back.
You're my home.
I want you to grow, and spread your wings, and reach your full potential.

Okay, I never really hate you.

No comments:

Post a Comment